National Day Parade 2007 - A Sneak Preview
The Ferris Wheel (Singapore Flyer) is nearby too.
Dear Friends,
Last Sat, I had just changed the Lithium batteries for my pocket Digital Camera and found myself fronting the world's largest floating platform at the Marina Bay - the Benjamin Sheares Bridge to my left and the cluster of tall buildings in the Raffles Place CBD to my right.
It is a preview day for Singapore's 42th National Day Parade schedule on Thursday, 9th August 07. In the past, the parade has always been on land @ the Padang or the National Stadium @ Kallang. This year is different! It is on water - the sea, south of Singapore near the area where the new downtown CBD will be and where the Marina Bay Recreational area and Integrated Resort would soon emerge.
It is indeed a display with a difference - a breath of fresh air and a showcase of a different sort. It has been a long time since I last participated as a spectator to the NDP. If you are like me, try not to miss this year's NDP Parade next Thursday....... It will be a pleasant surprise for you. I will try to give you a sneak preview on this blog (sorry pictures are not in chrono order as I still can't get a hang of how to shift photos posted on a blog !.........anyway post a comment after viewing won't you? Thanks.
Anthony
Aug 2007Labels: Celebrations

3 Comments:
Hi Anthony
I think I haven't seen an NDP since probably 1980 when they had a decentralised ones and they were marching in Katong.
Good to see what's happening in your photos!
This is a test posting.
Hello Arthur,
This year the NDP is staged on water!
The constructed gallery facing the floating platform on Marina Bay can seat 30,000. However it is said that if you include the surrounding areas like the Benjamin Sheares Bridege, Fullerton Road/Clifford Pier it can accommodate 120,000.
As the site is on the sea, it is a much cooler venue and the approach towards the floating platform is also unobstructed, allowing flexibility to the manoeuvres staged.
The organiser should consider this site again for future events and I hope you would return for one of these ocassions soon.
Btw, I would like to encourage those who have visited this site to post a comment. It is actually a very simple process. Just scroll down to the bottom till you see the word " Comments". When you enter to make your comments, just follow the instructions. For non-google visitors you can used the "Anonymous" sign-off but remember to type your name at the end of your comments.
Thanks Arthur for getting the ball rolling and am looking forward to hear from the rest.
Anthony
Post a Comment
<< Home